OUR NETWORK: TechLore MyOpenRouter DVR Playground Dijit Community About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 968326.0
October 14, 2010 11:31 AM

Categories: 3D Glasses

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Ron Repking

Editor

I finally purchased my 3D TV.  It came with a Monsters vs. Aliens DVD and 2 pairs of glasses.  I have 2 adults and 3 kids in my familiy.  At $150 apiece, do I drop about $500 after tax for three more pairs so that we can all watch limited 3D programming, or wait and hope that the prices drop?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-4 of 4 | Latest Comment

October 20, 2010 10:13 AM

I don't think you'll see any price drops on 3D glasses until the next model year of 3DTVs ship, and even then the price drop may not be huge. CES will be a good indicator of what to expect next year.

For now, I'd let the content and how your family operates dictate if it makes sense. There's still relatively little to watch in 3D, and such an investment may not make sense until there's more to watch. Also, it may not be worth it if your family rarely all watches movies and TV together. Even if you do, the majority of content you'll be watching will be 2D, at least for a while.

My initial thought is that enough glasses so the kids can all watch something in 3D together would make sense. That means 1 more pair, assuming the glasses you get in your starter pack fit at least two of them.

October 26, 2010 10:54 AM

Great points, Matt. I think I agree - one more pair for now so at least the kids can watch together.

October 29, 2010 9:40 AM

Update - I was in an electronics store and stumbled upon the Samsung SSG-P2100X/ZA Starter Kit for only $200.  It includes

• 2 pairs of their Samsung SSG-2100AB 3D Glasses
  • 2 soft pouches to hold the glasses
  • 2 batteries
  • 2 lens cleaning cloths
  • A voucher for How to Train Your Dragon in 3D
  • A Samsung exclusive IMAX Blu-ray 3D Kit, which is a triple feature of the following titles:  Galapagos 3D, Into the Deep 3D, and Mummies 3D (Secrets of the Pharaohs).

At about $100/pair plus the free movies, I decided I might as well go for it.  The only bummer was that when I registered online for the How to Train Your Dragon voucher, it said 10-12 weeks for delivery.  That was a bummer.  Hopefully it won't take nearly that long!

July 11, 2013 5:27 AM

I think you can buy more of it for the sake of your kids

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-4 of 4 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window