OUR NETWORK: TechLore MyOpenRouter DVR Playground Dijit Community About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 6749.23
March 23, 2010 01:53 PM

Categories: Video Game Hardware

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Steven J

Capable Networks

My kids have had DS units for years now but a handheld 3D gaming console is enough to make me think about upgrading. Not sure about the actual games yet although backward compatibility is promised. Wonder if new 3D games will carry a premium.

Here's a link to the (brief) story: http://www.wral.com/news/technology/story/7283416/

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

March 24, 2010 8:55 AM

While I'm not all that excited about seeing Mario in 3D, it will certainly be interesting to see how they implement a 3D implementation of the Worlds.

March 24, 2010 9:33 AM

Ron Repking said: While I'm not all that excited about seeing Mario in 3D, it will certainly be interesting to see how they implement a 3D implementation of the Worlds.

If they go the side-scroller route, I can imagine the new gameplay mechanic will be a near and far depth of field like in Wario on the Virtual Boy... although visually I'm sure it will be much nicer than the 'ol red and black graphics on the VB.  If the title is a 3D world, I can only imagine there will be added depth to the experience, which would be nice, but probably wouldn't add much to the game's mechanics.

That said, I do think that the portable is the best place to pioneer glasses free 3D. The viewing angle restrictions aren't really an issue since the player will pretty much always be dead center. Personally, I'm interested to see how Nintendo takes it to market. If anyone can make it successful, it's them.

March 25, 2010 3:13 PM

I agree with Matt that Nintendo is best equipped to bring this technology to the mobile market; historically, they've really nailed down the mobile gaming market.

What I'm particularly curious about is how the proposed Sharp "parallax barrier 3D LCD" works, and how it looks. If they can pull it off well, I can see how it could add great depth to 2D games in the form of 3D scrolling backgrounds and elements, as well as (of course) making great 3D native games. Especially FPS titles!

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window